MELLETTE MOMENTS

Welcome to MELLETTE MOMENTS...a place to find out what's going on in Mellette's world. Pictures, stories, verses, and all kinds of JOYS from our JOURNEY will fill this blog.

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Mellette Moments Update


Prior to January 11 our 7-year-old daughter never seemed to have problems with her heart, but the afternoon of January 11 proved we were wrong! Morgan was listening to her teacher read a book when her heart began to race....it shot up to 200 beats per minute. Her neck was pulsating...it was scary! After that Morgan was put on a heart monitor and has been on one since her trip to a pediatric cardiologist. Her heart monitor went off several times at school, indicating a heart rate of over 180. Thankfully, my classroom is in the same hallway as Morgan and my room is actually across from the nurse's room.

A second huge episode happened on January 28. Morgan was at home and Jerad was getting ready to go hang out with some friends. I was actually caring for a sick house guest when Morgan told Jerad she didn't feel right. Her heart was beating so fast. Jerad contacted Morgan's cardiologist and instructed him to take her to the ER immediately. Her heart rate wouldn't stop accelerating - it was at 228 beats per minute!

Jerad rushed her to the ER and as soon as my mom was close to my house, I left Gabriel and Daniel (our 11 year old house guest) and drove as fast as I could to the ER. Right before I came into Morgan's room in the ER, her heart rate finally settled down. A few minutes later, Jerad - and the doctor - told me that Morgan's heart had actually stopped! It was so very scary! Jerad said it was like a scene out of a movie - the doctor had a panicked look on his face - as if to say -"That's not supposed to happen."


We - Jerad and I - spent the night in the hospital with Morgan and she now has a diagnosis called SVT - It's where you have an extra "nerve" in your heart causing these very rapid heart beats - it's an electrical problem.
Today, my mom drove Morgan and I to Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP) to do 5 hours worth of waiting and tests! At 2:30, we finally got to leave and get Morgan some lunch. Her heart ablation - heart procedure - is scheduled for Thursday morning, February 9. She needs to be there at 7am and her catheterization will begin at 8:30. The doctors said it will take - on average - 4 hours. Then, she will need to lie flat for 4 - 6 hours. If there are no complications, Morgan should be released Thursday evening and will be allowed back to school on Monday with minor limitations.
Jerad and I will be taking Morgan down to Philadelphia Wednesday evening and sleep at a hotel. We are thankful my family lives close by so they can take care of Gabriel. We appreciate your prayers!

10 comments:

  1. You got 'em! (my prayers, that is!). Love to you all. Jeane`

    ReplyDelete
  2. We'll be praying!!! Hugs to all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have been praying for Morgan and your peace throughout this ordeal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have been praying for Morgan and your peace throughout this ordeal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have been praying for Morgan and your peace throughout this ordeal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have been praying for Morgan and your peace throughout this ordeal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have been praying for Morgan and your peace throughout this ordeal.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have been praying for Morgan and your peace throughout this ordeal.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have been praying for Morgan and your peace throughout this ordeal.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Had my alarm Set for 830 to pray for surgery. Pls know that here in the quiet of EEarl I am praying for wisdom for the surgeons; peace for you as parents (& grandparents). And trusting for complete recovery.
    These verses have been so precious to me in recent months.....
    Psalms 91:1-2
    He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord; He is my refuge & Fortress, my God in whom I trust.
    Verse 4.
    He will cover you (& Morgan) with his feathers & under His wings you will find refuge ; His faithfulness will be your shield & rampart.

    Love;
    Jul

    ReplyDelete